Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

My love affair with cloth diapers, Part 2

Read the background on why I chose cloth diapers here.

I remember when my baby sister was in cloth diapers 20 years ago. My mom used the Gerber pre-folds (cotton rectangles with a thicker, more absorbent center strip), diaper pins, and clear plastic pants. When baby pooped, the diaper was soaked in the toilet, wrung out, and tossed in the diaper pail until laundry time. This is what many people envision when they hear, "cloth diapers," but trust me when I say that the industry has come a long way since then!

In fact, there are so many options that my initial research was completely overwhelming! I read about pre-folds and pocket diapers, AIOs and PUL, swishing, dunking, swirling and spraying. I wasn't sure what all these things were or how they would play out in real life. (heres a great reference for cloth diapering lingo.)

When I googled "cloth diapers," I found a system called G Diapers. The first thing I noticed was that they are absolutely adorable!  This 3 piece system has a cute and colorful cover (the diaper looking part that you see when baby is wearing it), the plastic liner that makes it waterproof, and the inserts (the absorbant part) which come in reusable cloth style, or the biodegradable, flushable, disposable version.  These diapers come in different sizes that fit according to your baby's weight. G Diapers were my favorite from the beginning!  But as any good consumer, I continued to research the options...

The next cloth diaper brand I discovered was BumGenius (on the linked page, scroll down for a great visual aid for how the diapers work).  My sister was nannying for a family that used this brand, and as I asked around I realized that several other friends used them. BumGenius 4.0 diapers have two pieces--the pocket diaper cover, and the insert that fits inside the pocket.   These are a one-size diaper...they have snaps making it an adjustable rise, and they claimed to fit babies from 7 to 35 pounds!

These two brands are NOT the only options out there, but they were the two brands that most appealed to me as I researched cloth diapering.  Armed with this information, and only three months pregnant, I took some time to think through the options and keep an ear open for reccommendations.


Do you remember the old fashioned cloth diapers?  Have you seen or used any cloth diapering options today?  Check out the links and see for yourself how easy (and cute!!!) cloth can be! :)

Find our which brand our family chose in My love affair with cloth diapers, Part 3.  Or see how it all works in Day to day with cloth.

3 comments:

  1. so what kind do you use? we can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used the old-fashioned way with all of ours for at least some period of time- eventually graduated to at least using snappi's instead of pins- I'm not sure which gave me more injuries! :) Back when we started (2002) the nicer ones were just getting popular, but still had some issues. But it worked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you remember my cloth diapers! Thats great! And your baby's bum always looks cute in her cloth diapers :)

    ReplyDelete