Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

How do you know?

Some people find it interesting that we are sharing our daughter's name before she's born.  Many parents keep it to themselves...to have an element of surprise after birth, maybe to prevent someone stealing the name, or to be sure that they can change their mind at the last minute.  But I have wanted to shout it from the rooftops for months!

"Months?"  You ask.  "Didn't you just find out the gender, like, a week ago?"

Its true.  Last Wednesday was our ultrasound. But it just confirmed something I have felt strongly since I saw those two pink lines on the pregnancy test.  I always *knew* she was a girl.

Think I'm crazy?  I've spoken with other moms that have experienced the exact same thing.  But of course there are some very different stories.  There are the moms that had no idea.  And still others that were convinced of the gender, only to find they were wrong!

I'll admit, I tried to prepare for that.  We had a lovely little boy name picked out.  I had scoured the stores to be sure there are adorable boy clothes on the market.  And I looked at pictures of my husband when he was tiny to remind myself that there would be sweet days ahead if I was wrong about the whole *knowing* thing!

But I couldn't shake the feeling.  When I prayed for my baby, it was "she" and "her" and I'd have to add in..."Or him.  I would love a him, too..."  One day I was by myself in the house, trying to grab the things I needed to run some errands and when I felt a kick I responded with, "I know, baby girl.  I'm almost ready."  The words were out of my mouth before I could even think that I didn't know the gender for certain!

I got fairly anxious in the days leading up to the ultrasound.  I realized how much "girl" had become part of my thinking process, and I was going to feel guilty if it turned out my baby was a boy!  (I'll admit, my husband had to remind me that HEALTHY was the preferred diagnosis from the ultrasound, and finding the gender was just a perk.  So true...)

My point is that I'm happy to know that my hunch was on target.  I'm glad to be able to use pronouns without correcting myself.  I LOVE that the nursery can be painted pink.

So back to the name...In the same way I instinctively knew she was a girl, I feel that Emerson will grow into her name.  It's perfect for her.  And I want the world to know it.

1 comment:

  1. Love this :) And I LOVE that you were getting annoyed when people were predicting it would be a boy on FB :) Haha, Emerson is beautiful and it makes it so much more fun to think of her joining your family.

    ReplyDelete